Kite & Key Media is seeking a candidate with outstanding writing abilities and a strong understanding of public policy to join our content team.
While this role will encompass a wide range of responsibilities, the most important will be working on scripts for Kite & Key’s Originals video series. The role blends both analytical and creative writing abilities — including a scriptwriter’s ability to draft clear, concise, witty prose under deadline pressures — with a sophisticated understanding of public policy.
The successful candidate will be comfortable working on a wide range of policy issues; conversant in the kind of research produced by think tanks, universities, and investigative journalists; and will have an eye for detail that allows them to translate complicated policy ideas into accessible prose without sacrificing accuracy.
This is a full-time role, preferably based out of our New York City office (though a remote arrangement with recurring travel to NYC may be considered for exceptional candidates).
- Drafting, revising, and editing original scripts under the supervision of Kite & Key's head writer
- Participating in content brainstorming, pitching new video topics
- Assisting in development of written bonus materials for video releases
- Selecting material for, and managing the operations of, a new data visualization series
- Research & fact-checking (supplemental to that conducted by Kite & Key’s in-house researcher)
- Potential project management responsibilities
- Interfacing with Kite & Key's marketing team to ensure accuracy and precision of promotional copy
- Monitoring the public policy sector for new research, ideas, etc. that could form the basis for future Kite & Key videos
Experience and skills:
- Exceptional writing and editing skills (previous experience, especially in a related field, is strongly preferred)
- Ability to write humor in addition to more conventional public policy content
- Experience with, interest in, and conversancy in public policy issues
- Understanding of statistics, research data, and methodology
- Startup mindset — willingness to take initiative on managing or initiating new projects
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Intellectual curiosity and ability to quickly become conversant in new topics
- Ability to work well in a team setting
- Detail oriented and responsible with deadlines
To be considered for this role, please make sure to do the following:
- Submit your resume and a cover letter that demonstrates your familiarity with Kite & Key and describes your skill set as related to the experience and skill section above
- Submit 2-3 writing samples
- Candidates who advance through the interview process will be asked to submit a sample Kite & Key script (all previous scripts are available on our website for reference)
Please send this information to [email protected].
Salary range: $65,000-$85,000/year
*If you are only interested in part-time work or are concerned that you may not meet all of the criteria listed here, we encourage you to submit your materials anyway. Kite & Key will likely add more junior writing roles (in addition to roles on a contract basis) in the near future, and we are happy to consider candidates accordingly. Please specify if you are applying on this basis when you submit your application.
Subscribe and follow along on social channels for new content @kiteandkeymedia.